Flute 360 | Episode 4: “The Benefits of Rest” (19:44)
In this episode, Heidi discusses the research she’s conducted about the benefits of rest. She discusses how rest can improve our performance-level as flutists. Also, she gives many great examples of bedtime routines that you can do in order to find a restful night’s sleep.
Episode 4 – Main Points:
- Prevention and treatment (1:11)
- Different levels of rest (2:21)
- School breaks (2:40)
- Injury prevention (4:35)
- Tennis ball exercises (5:58)
- End of the academic year (9:02)
- Rest as in sleep (10:22)
- Sleep supports athletic performance (12:02)
- Lessons with Dr. Diane Boyd Schultz (12:11)
- Sleepytime App (14:07)
- Bedtime routine (14:49)
- Summary (19:00)
Episode 4 – Resources Mentioned:
- Kast, Sheilah, and Andrea Appleton. “The Injuries of the Small-Muscle Athlete.” Last modified January 19, 2017. http://wypr.org/post/injuries-small-muscle-athlete.
- Manchester, Ralph. “The Role of Rest.” Medical Problems of Performing Artists27, no. 3 (2012): 121-2.
- Santa, Lisa Garner. “Become Your Own Best Teacher: A Guide for the College Music Major.” Music Matters2, no. 1 (2009): 13-18.
- Sleepytime Sleep Scheduler
- Hibiscus Tea
- Chamomile Tea
- Green Valley Organics
- Ylang-Ylang Essential Oils
- Lavender Essential Oils
- Chamomile Essential Oils
Heidi Kay Begay’s Information:
[…] 36:00 – Topic: The Benefits of Sleep (Refer to Episode 04) […]