Flute 360 | Episode 19: “Recordings” (24:04)
In today’s episode, Heidi talks with audio and video engineer, Eric Jay Begay. She asks him questions in regards to the recording process. Questions include topics such as recording equipment, the venue, microphone placement, and more!
Episode 19 – Main Points:
Episode 19 – Resources Mentioned:
Flute 360 | Episode 18: “Curriculum Vitae & Résumé”
In today’s episode, Heidi offers four main suggestions for writing your résumé and/or CV. Before she dives into specific points, she reminds everyone to take care of themselves while applying to jobs. Some suggestions include: smile, exercise, eat an anti-inflammatory diet, and much more! Series 1 is a great review for how to take care of yourself both mentally and physically. Finally, Heidi talks about how to organize your résumé and/or CV.
Episode 18 – Main Points:
- Résumé and/or Curriculum Vitae (4:26)
- Four suggestions for your document:
- 1.) Organization (5:31)
- Teaching Experience
- Performance & Research
- Honors & Awards
- 2.) Relevance (7:40)
- 3.) Don’t overstate your abilities (8:34)
- 4.) Quantify or qualify your accomplishments (9:34)
Episode 18 – Resources Mentioned:
Flute 360 | Episode 17: “Cover Letter” (6:14)
In today’s episode, Heidi discusses one document that is often required in job applications and that is the cover letter. She talks about its format and offers some general suggestions when writing the letter of application.
Episode 17 – Main Points:
- General suggestions (1:34)
- Format of the cover letter (2:29)
- Three to four paragraphs
- Introduction (3:50)
- Main section (4:07)
- Conclusion (4:34)
- Need your cover letter edited? Contact Heidi! (5:05)
Episode 17 – Resources Mentioned:
Flute 360 | Episode 16: “Lessons from Greece!” (13:30)
In today’s episode, Heidi talks about her travels to Santorini, Athens, and Thessaloniki Greece from these past three weeks. During these travels, she discusses the lessons she’s learned, such as being a supportive teacher, confidence, and traveling to gain new perspectives. Finally, Heidi encourages listeners to send their questions on topics that will be found in Series 4. Topics include cover letters, résumés, letters of recommendations, teaching and recording videos, the interview, and post-interview. Series 4 launches next week on Saturday, July 21, 2018.
Episode 16 – Main Points:
- Travels to Greece (1:47)
- Anatolia College’s Summer Music Festival (3:12)
- Lesson #1 from Greece: Be a Supportive Teacher (3:54)
- Lesson #2 from Greece: Build Your Confidence (5:24)
- Lesson #3 from Greece: Travel! (7:40)
- Series 4 (11:34)
Episode 16 – Resources Mentioned:
Flute 360 | Episode 15: “An Interview with Beatriz Macías” (39:14)
In today’s episode, Heidi speaks with Beatriz Macías about her orchestral audition process, being a person, performer, entrepreneur, and much more!
Episode 15 – Main Points:
- Beatriz’s background (2:15)
- Beatriz’s and Erica Peel’s NFA class in 2016 (4:45)
- The day of the audition (10:53)
- Take your time – ground yourself (14:10)
- After the audition (14:49)
- Reflection of the audition/performance (16:23)
- The differences between an American vs. European audition (19:23)
- Beatriz meets Erica Peel (20:00)
- Paul Edmund-Davies (24:05)
- Opera singer (24:36)
- Sing your flute music (26:54)
- Baby Mozart (29:36)
- As a musician, be willing to adapt. (32:51)
- Last comments (34:39)
- Seth Allyn Morris (36:32)
- Conclusion (38:12)
Episode 15 – Resources Mentioned:
Flute 360’s Sponsor:
Flute 360 | Episode 14: “A Q&A with Dr. Dennette Derby McDermott” (18:20)
In today’s episode, Dr. McDermott and Heidi answer questions submitted by Flute 360’s listeners. Topics vary and include: graduate studies in music, performance anxiety, and flute pedagogy for beginners. Please feel free to submit your own question to the show, and Flute 360 will answer in a future episode!
Episode 14 – Main Points:
- Question 1: Preparation for graduate school (1:42)
- To take a break or not to take a break – that is the question!
- Question 2: Performance anxiety and some tips to overcome (5:10)
- It’s a privilege to perform the composer’s piece.
- Play at senior centers or church to build confidence.
- Ervin Monroe’s advice – Dr. McDermott’s past teacher.
- Question 3: Flute pedagogy for beginners (12:28)
Episode 14 – Resources Mentioned:
Flute 360’s Sponsor:
Flute 360 | Episode 13: “A Podcast Update” (8:08)
In today’s episode, Heidi gives updates on her personal life and the podcast. She also describes the upcoming podcast series, which will launch Saturday, July 14, 2018 with Dr. Patricia Surman!
Episode 13 – Main Points:
Episode 13 – Resources Mentioned:
Flute 360’s Sponsor:
Flute 360 | Episode 12: “An Interview with Mr. Christopher Cox” (17:22)
Heidi talks with Chris about his methods to start and maintain a successful flute studio! Today’s episode is a great summary of Flute 360’s Episodes 5-8, plus new information from Chris.
Episode 12 – Main Points:
Episode 12 – Resources Mentioned:
Flute 360’s Sponsor:
Flute 360 | Episode 11: “An Interview with David Straubinger” (28:40)
Heidi talks with David Straubinger about his musical and business background, how this led him to develop and make his own pads and flutes, and maintenance advice for flutists of all ages!
Episode 11 – Main Points:
- David’s musical background (2:05)
- From Straubinger pads to flute making (6:36)
- Purchasing a flute (10:07)
- Creating a budget (16:09)
- The different flute scales (19:06)
- 440 Hz, 442 Hz, 444 Hz (20:00)
- Maintenance and repair (20:58)
- Emergency situations (24:13)
- David’s final comment (26:37)
Episode 11 – ResourcesMentioned:
Flute 360 | Episode 10: “An Interview with Dr. Sam Hood” (1:16:12)
Today, Heidi talks with Sam Hood about his thesis research, “The Flutist’s MAPP (Movement Applications for Practice and Performance): A Dalcrozian Approach to Flute Pedagogy.” Sam talks about Dalcroze’s method and how it led him to his thesis topic. In addition, he discusses three exercises (tap the balloon, arm flute walking music, and “hoopbrato”) that flutists can incorporate within their own practice session!
Episode 10 – Main Points:
Episode 10 – Resources Mentioned:
Sam Hood’s Videos:
Video 1 – Time, Space, & Energy
Video 2 – Tap the Balloon
Video 3 – Arm Flute Walking Music
Video 4 – “Hoopbrato”